22 Nov 2011 08:50 | Quote>
Joined: way back
Hello everyone! I've been sort of just lurking around for the past month checking in when I can, but I feel like I haven't been contributing. So, my roommate and I came up with this idea since he has a better ear than I do, but I know more about guitar, we are going to combine our knowledge to undertake a weekly challenge:
Every week for the next 8 weeks, we will choose a chord. In that given week, we will have to find someway to use that chord in a song, whether in be part of a progression, arpeggiated, fingerpicked, etc. Though we must write something that will use this chord shape in one week. I figured, why not let the rest of this board benefit from our undertaking.
So here's the deal:
1. Somewhere at the beginning of the week (I know it's tuesday, shut up) I will select a chord for us to all learn about.
2. I will post a little bit of background on the chord, how it could be used or where it is being used.
3. You will all noodle around on your guitar with it.
4. Record your favorite riff, progression, lick, etc.
5. Post here and explain to us your mentality when you approached this problem (MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!)
I feel we can all benefit from our learning process. What you guys think?
This week: Dim7 chord.
Here's some background on where it's used in Jazz and Blues:
How to Use the Diminished 7 Chord
Here's a chord breakdown of fingerings:
Guitar Chords: Dim7
(Note: This website has the fingerings for all forms of the dim7, and you can use any one you want. It can be Cdim7, Dbdim7, etc.)
Good luck, and I hope we can all learn some new chords through this.